Pork and Pumpkin Mole Chili
The complex flavors of Mole sauce are combined with pulled pork, salsa, beans, corn, and pumpkin to create a very unique chili that your family will love.Print Pin Rate Add to Collection Go to Collections
- 3 lbs pork butt roast
- 1/2 cup prepared mole paste
- 1 1/2 cups onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 cups reduced ]-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14.5 ounce fire roasted diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 10 ounce can red chili enchilada sauce
- 1 7 ounce can salsa Mexicana (found in Mexican food isle)
- 1 7 ounce can salsa ranchera (found in Mexican food isle)
- 1 tbsp dark cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup roasted corn (can substitute plain frozen corn)
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 14.5 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can unsweetened pumpkin
- 2 small jalapeño peppers sliced
- 1 avocado cubed
- 2 cups queso cheese shredded
- 2 cups small tortilla chips
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine pork roast and mole paste. Seal, then rub the paste over roast on the outside of the bag. Marinate overnight.
- The next day, remove pork roast from bag, and place in a large slow cooker. Add onions, garlic, chicken broth, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, salsas, cocoa powder, corn, brown rice, and black beans. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- Remove pork from slow cooker and let cool for 15 minutes. Pull with two forks.
- While pork is cooling, skim fat from surface.
- Stir in pumpkin, then gently add pork back to slow cooker.
- Heat for an additional 15 minutes.
- Ladle into shallow soup bowls. Finish with toppings of choice.
Feel free to substitute 14 ounces of your favorite salsa for this recipe.