Triple Beet Soup
Beets are having a bit of a resurgence in the health food world. Our grandparents knew that beets were a super vegetable, wonderful for roasting, salads and pickling. But, much like spinach, the canning era was not friendly to the beet. Now with fresh vegetables back in vogue, it’s time to reacquaint yourself with the beet! And what better way than with a beautiful Triple Beet Soup.
Can’t Beet ‘Em!
The beet is an ancient root vegetable that has been traditionally used in everything from tarts to borscht. Both the root and greens are flavorful and nutritious so they are a great choice for home gardens.
This recipe uses beets three ways, so it’s a great way to begin cooking with beets. First, beets are used to color and flavor the homemade bow tie pasta, then boiled and pureed beets make up the base in the captivatingly colored beet soup broth, and finally beet greens act as a delicious garnish to the finished beet soup.
A New Fall Favorite
The sweet, earthy taste of beets is a perfect fall flavor that pairs well with our favorite sugary and savory autumn dishes. Pecans and goat cheese round out the unique dish for a full, satisfying flavor palette you can enjoy again and again.
Plus, nutrient-rich beets can lower blood pressure and risk for heart disease. It’s a good ingredient to have in the mix when you want to recover from the overindulgence of the fall and winter holidays.
So take a tip from Little Rusted Ladle: try something new (or really old) with fresh beets worked into your fall menu. You won’t regret it!
And in the meantime, remember to cook with love, and live to cook.
Jim & Jena
For another adventure in beets, try our Beet Chips from October of 2015!
Triple Beet Soup
- 2 lg Beets stems removed and washed
- 3 cups Vegetable, mushroom, or chicken broth
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled
- 2 Tbsp. Unsalted butter or ghee
- 1 tsp. Kosher sale
- 1 cup Tri-color pasta, such as bowtie cooked
- 1 1/2 cups Baby beet greens washed
- 1/2 cup Fresh goat cheese crumbled
- 1/4 cup Spiced pecans (store bought or homemade)
- In a large saucepan, bring vegetable broth to a simmer. Add beets and garlic. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until beets are tender. Season with salt. Transfer beets and liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. Add butter and blend until butter is melted and blended into soup. Keep mixture warm until ready to serve.
- To serve, ladle beet soup into shallow bowls. Spoon pasta evenly into each dish, then top with beet greens. Sprinkle goat cheese and pecans on top. Finish with fresh ground pepper and serve.
Looks yummy and so beautiful! ♥️